Cootehill is pleasantly situated in east Cavan and nestles between the Rivers Dromore and Annalee, which are main tributaries of the vast Erne system.There are 26 lakes within 10 miles of the town with some of these near the neighbouring town of Shercock and in adjoining Co. Monaghan. It’s an outstanding and popular spot for Ireland’s mighty bream, roach, hybrids, perch, tench and pike.
Some of the good spots
- Annamakerrig Lake: Access via forest road with car parking at lakeside. Good pike fishing.
- Drumsaul lake: Access road to limited car parking. Fishing from stands.
- Drumshiel Lake: Access road and car park. Fishing from stands.
- Drumlona Lake: Access road and car park.
- Killyvaghan Lake: Car parking near the bridge on Dromore River. Good pike fishing.
- Dromore River: Access points at Ballynascarva, Ballycoghill, Balladine bridges. Fishing mainly for Roach and other species. Good pike fishing.
- Lisnalong Lake: Roadside car parking. Fishing from stands. Common species and some tench. Good pike fishing.
- Mullanary Lake: Roadside car parking. Bank fishing for roach, some bream and good pike particularly from boats.
- White Lake (Baird’s Shore): Access road and car park to good bank fishing on a small match length. At Anney and Lisgillen, fishing is from the bank and stands. Common species and some tench.
Peter Lynch: +353(0)862247367 or +353(0)49 5552538
Oliver Gibson tel: +353 (0) 86 0835748 Small petrol @70 per day
Cootehill Easter Classic : Angling Festival Two-day match. Call +353 (0)49 555 3412
Packy Gibson Memorial: Oliver Gibson tel: +353 (0) 86 0835748
September Cootehill Championship Fishing Festival: Contact Michael & Eileen Smith: +353 (0)49 555 3039[email protected]
September Cootehill Championship Fishing Festival is an annual festival now running for 40 years. It is a 5 day festival and always on, in the last full week of September. We fish on 5 different waters in the Cootehill area, choosing the lakes one week beforehand. Entry fee is €100 and limited to 125 anglers. Please contact us to hear more or to register.
Dream Catch: With over 40 years experience Peter Lynch’s knowledge of the local areas is boundless. Having fished for his country in the eighties, he has acquired a unique reputation for pike-fishing and takes pleasure in making sure that all his guests catch plenty of fish and go home happy and return again year after year.
Peter Lynch, Cootehill, Co Cavan. Telephone: +353(0)862247367 or +353(0)49 5552538
More info and links
The Cavan Fishing Guide: www.cavanfishing.com
Cavan Fishing Guide PDF: https://www.thisiscavan.ie/content/files/Co_Cavan_Angling_Guide.pdf
Eastern Regional Fisheries Board: www.fishingireland.net for further information on fishing in East Cavan and Ireland’s East Coast.