Between Inner Lough and the Dromore Lough and river the Black Island can be found, connected by a fine old Iron Bridge. A small forested island with lovely walking trails, this island hosts the mausoleum of lady Anne Dawson erected by her husband out of mourning over her passing.
Locally called, The Temple, the mausoleum is of significant architectural importance, especially within an Irish context. Designed by James Wyatt in 1770, it is modelled on the Pantheon in Rome and is, according to John R. Redmill, a leading Irish architectural conservationist, “one of the most important 18th century buildings in Ireland”.
Unfortunately, the mausoleum has been roofless for the last 40 years, but historic preservation and restoration efforts have been undertaken by the local Dartrey Heritage Association.
Video of Noel Carney relaying the history behind the temple and the restoration work carried out.Click here