Our Blog

Dartry

Dartry

The Dartry estate lies to the right all along the road towards Rockcorry. The boundary wall, much of it remaining, was built as a famine relief scheme in 1847; workers received 1d per day. Some gatehouses to the Dartry Estate also remain.  The Dartry estate, now owned...
Cohaw Megalithic tomb

Cohaw Megalithic tomb

Cohaw Megalithic tomb is a neolithic dual Court Cairn dating from 4,000 BC. It is regarded as the finest example of a double court tomb in Ireland. It was excavated in 1949 where remains of Children, both cremated and inhumated, were found here, as well as some clay...
Bellamont House

Bellamont House

Bellamont House is situated in the Bellamont Estate which starts right at the end of Cootehill town and runs along the Dartrey Forest and the Dromore River. Bellamont House was built between 1725 and 1730 for Thomas Coote, Lord Chief Justice of Ireland. The house was...
The Workhouse and Famine graveyard

The Workhouse and Famine graveyard

A workhouse for the poor opened along Station Road, Lisnasaran, Cootehill on 2nd Dec 1842 with accommodation for 800 people. This rose to 1200 ‘inmates’ as they were called, at the height of the Famine (1845-1847).  Men, women and children lived in...
Old Cootehill Train Station

Old Cootehill Train Station

The Railway Station at Killycramph, Cootehill was built in 1860 in an English Gothic style as part of the Dundalk/Enniskillen Railway Company. Cootehill was a very industrial town providing Flax / Linen and it was exported via train to its destination. There were many...
Previous Next
Close
Test Caption
Test Description goes like this